Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why does watercolour hate me?!

About all I can say for today's post is that I am being diligent and posting regularly. I've had a very depressing couple of days with watercolour. First of all I spent a lot of time drawing a little still life of cups and rose bud. GWK wandered past and muttered 'contrived' ,now all I can see is 'cheap Mother's Day card'. White china is hell to paint from life.

I took away the rose bud and tried a quick watercolour sketch. Very lumpy. I need to find a tutorial on painting 'whites'. On the plus side I got to try my WN Cobalt Turquoise for the first time.

5 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! These are really lovely. Did you draw them first - or just straight in there with the paint? I especially like the bottom one and I think you did a great job with the colour! Niice shadows too.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Thank you so much Andrea. I wish I could say I dived straight in with the paint. I'm afraid I'm fighting a very tight style and don't go anywhere without my pencil first.

Anonymous said...

I love that second one! Isn't cobalt turquoise the most amazing and wonderful color! I use it more often than anything!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Laura - thank you! When I broke out the Cobalt Turquoise it chuckled and said: 'Who do you think you are?! Laura!' ;) I've been cautious of using it up until now because a little bit seems to go a long way.

perugina said...

The title of this post sounds all to familiar!

I just posted my goals for 2008 scary!

I think you are handling watercolour beautifully here! I wish my efforts were as successful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...