Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Still Life with Two Objects III


Flask & Pear - oil on panel 18 x 24cm
(the photograph is a little too blue)

This is the halfway point in the two object still life challenge. I don't know about you guys but I'm getting a bit sick of it! I'm thinking, why did I restrict myself to this limited palette for SIX paintings?! Then I remember it was because I thought it would look more like a series if I did.

Then it occurs to me that it is reminiscent of potty training: initial optimism leads to endless diligent straining, followed by embarrassing mistakes, disappointments and the end result is s***!

On a more positive note, I've discovered a way to transfer my initial sketch on to the canvas. I sketch the composition on a piece of paper the same sized as the canvas. When I'm finally happy with it I place the drawing against a window and from the wrong side trace the major lines with a soft charcoal pencil. Then place the sketch, charcoal side down on the canvas and trace over the pencil lines with a paper stump. This give a lovely clean line on the canvas that can still be easily removed if necessary.

11 comments:

Joan said...

Robyn - Good way to transfer the sketch!!! I like this one a lot...great highlights on the bottle and I like the pear in the painting. What will join the pear for the next one...

Lin said...

how STUPENDOUS! THE GLASS IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! GLORIOUS!

Anita said...

This made me laugh! Great work Robyn - stick with it. Have you not tried drawing straight on the canvas with a brush? Very liberating!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Joan - Thank you. I think the pear is reaching for a glass. And happy birthday to your blog.

Lin - Bless you!

Anita - I'm glad you laughed, I was starting to regret my potty mouth. :)

I can draw a pear with a brush but not a flask. Well, I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure I can't.

Making A Mark said...

Thank you for giving me a good giggle!

Your technique in the tracing department is sound! ;)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant analogy! And at the price of light boxes, it's a good reason to keep the glass door cleaned!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Potty training indeed! Cute.

If you can draw a pear with a brush, you can draw a flask too. Just have a stiff drink first... :)

Mary said...

Haha Robyn, good comparison! I really like the transparency in the flask and I just might take up your technique to try a portrait again, I only did three and can't remember how I started. Hope Michael doesn't read this!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Katherine - But the drawing doesn't improve in the tracing.

Dinah - thank you :)

Jeanettte: I never drink and draw ;)

Mary - I'm a bit scared of Michael!

Sharon said...

Are you starting to love the lusciousness of oils yet, Robin? The pear is yummy!

Anonymous said...

I really like the creative way you've organized your two objects in this series, making interesting compositions all. I've used something called Saral Transfer Paper to transfer drawings to panels as well. It's made with graphite and comes in different colors and works quite well. You just use it like carbon paper, putting it between the panel and the drawing. Then I draw over the drawing using a stylus rather than a pen if I don't want to mess up the original drawing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...