Monday, January 08, 2007

Turquoise Ink and silly ideas


I adore those seductive little Italian shops that sell exquisite leather bound sketchbooks and journals that I can't afford and could never bring myself to make a mark in anyway. Temptation doesn't stop there because they also have glorious pens and handmade inks, like liquid jewels. Well I'm learning to resist them. These days I just leave a little nose smudge on the window. Imagine my delight when my dear friend S, who's been visiting from Sydney, presented me with a bottle of Turquoise Ink, beautifully sealed with wax. Magical.

A while back I told our neighbour that I would love a little white Vespa 50L. He's an antique dealer who relishes a challenge. Having since mounted something only slightly more powerful and almost taken out a fence, I'm very nervous that he'll turn up with one. The terror of actually having to ride it ......

4 comments:

Making A Mark said...

I'm only allowed one visit to this sort of shop when I'm in Italy as I love them too. I try to schedule it for the end so that I'm broke and don't try to buy up too much of the shop!

Lovely drawings Robyn!

(I hope your friend does get you the Vespa - I can just see the new blog title now 'My Vespa Travel sketches' or maybe 'Have Vespa, wll sketch'

Robyn Sinclair said...

Thank you, Katherine! Now that's a wonderful fantasy - Have Vespa, will sketch. Or maybe Sketcher on Board. Perhaps we could go in convoy? Reminds me of Matthew Fort's book - Eating up Italy - Voyages on a Vespa.

Anita said...

Robyn - You have to get a motorino. When we lived in Rome we had one and rode everywhere on it, my husband driving and me perched on the back Sometimes sidesaddle a la Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn, when skirts would not allow me to sit astride. Such fun - and SO Italian!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Anita - It must have been romantic. Did you ever drive it yourself? I'm getting enthusiast again, since Katherine suggested Vespa travel sketches.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...