Thursday, March 15, 2007

Playing with Pastels



Have you seen the beautiful print by Hiroshi Yoshida - At the Mirror 1927. I'm interested to see if I can translate the subject to watercolour. There is a half sheet of Fabriano 300lb paper waiting, I've done the drawing but I'm procrastinating. There is something sacred about such a beautiful piece of paper. It's my first and it deserves the best. As it is, it is full of potential. I like that. I can think about how beautiful the painting could be.

So since I have a new box of pastel pencils I'm really just playing around at the moment. Perhaps I could call this a study after Hiroshi Yoshida. I also wanted to see if I could learn from Dagas' pastels, after the photo-realistic pastel still life I've just finished.

4 comments:

mARTa said...

Robyn...."It's just paper!" LOL This is a wonderful little study. I looked at the original which is beautiful. GO FOR IT! marta

Robyn Sinclair said...

Marta - I keep saying it's just paper but it doesn't help. I think I have a bad case of inferiority complex. I don't trust myself to sketch in my Moleskines either. I was out in the garden drawing flowers yesterday but only in a cheap sketch pad LOL.

E-J said...

I didn't know Yoshida's original but this is a very nice version.

I tried copying Degas' "Le Tub" early on in my journey with pastels, simply because I fell in love with the painting. I feel I learned a lot about his approach to the medium, and to composition ... Whether what I thought I learned was imagined and erroneous is another matter, but I had a lot of fun!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Emma-Jane, I think you did a beautiful painting of Le Tub - it is a favourite of mine. I hope I will do better with The Mirror in watercolour. As you can see I had trouble with the face in pastel. I find them very tricky for fine detail. Lovely of you to visit and comment. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...