Monday, March 26, 2007

Draw a Bowl


I finally joined in the Every Day Matters Weekly Drawing Challenge with #111 - Draw a Bowl.

I'm hoping the discipline of drawing a simple object from life once a week will loosen me up a little. We'll see. I'm my own worst enemy in that the bowl I chose to sketch was a tangle of wire and shadows - we do have normal bowls, I'm just too stupid to use them. Next challenge I'll try the KISS approach.

The Every Day Matters Group is a very friendly and supportive bunch and if you haven't already done so, I recommend a visit. The founder of EDM is Danny Greggory who is an inspiration to all who love to draw and particularly to those who would like to but think they can't. The group also has a blog of blogs.

10 comments:

Robyn said...

I commented on this pic over on Flickr and it looks good here, too.

Not only are you another Aussie Robyn, but you are also a Robyn S. I'm pretty sure that they won't get our art styles mixed up, though.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Hi Robyn S - You're not living in my house in Sydney as well are you? LOL. I was very envious to see you doing a Sydney sketchcrawl.

mARTa said...

buongiorno Robyn. Welcome to EDM. I think I would have had more success drawing your bowl. I of course picked "easy" bowls and have found them very hard to execute. I might post them just so you can see. I think you made an excellent first choice and rendered it beautifully. I am moe excited about this week's challenge...'al fresco! marta

Casey Klahn said...

The drawing is wonderful. I'm glad you chose it.
Now I am confused. Not your fault, I just couldn't understand the pages at Flikr. I see a list of subjects to try, and a Yoahoo group, and a blog of blogs to post one's drawings.
I wouldn't mind doing it, but I guess I would just stick to the weekly(?) challenge to draw.
Thanks for the interesting link, though! Maybe it's just my Monday mindset. Or, maybe the coffee was decaf by accident.

Anonymous said...

Tricky choice...getting all those curves to be the same would have been a big challenge for me! Nice shadow too. Glad you've decided to join in!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Thank you all.

Casey I find it very confusing too - now I know it's not just me, I feel a lot better.

juj said...

I went to look at your "fresh flesh" and found this in the process. Both are amazing. I love the rich color of the peel in the blood orange, and the shadow under this bowl is such a nice detail. Really lovely. Welcome to the group.

platitudinal said...

I love how intricate this bowl looks and yet not "busy" at the same time. Can one call a bowl looking elegant? :)

Robyn Sinclair said...

You may use the 'elegant' word around here whenever you want! Thank you :)

Robyn Sinclair said...

J Winn - Many thanks. Now I've seen your blog I appreciate your kind words even more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...