Thursday, April 03, 2008

Two Fish After Ando Hiroshige


Watercolour detail after Hiroshige print

This is the second detail from the same Ando Hiroshige woodblock print. The prawns in my previous post were at the top of the print. My handmade watercolour sketchbook is too small for the whole composition of most of Hiroshige's prints. I tried to work a bit faster with this one so it is much more obviously my work, not Hiroshige's. There is one more of his famous fish prints I must do and then I'm thinking I might try a bit of Japonisme of my own - inspired by Hiroshige, of course.

Speaking of Japonisme, through a comment on my previous post, I discovered a blog called Japonisme by Lotusgreen. If you are into beautiful things - paintings or objects, treat yourself by paying Lotusgreen a visit. And don't forget, if you want to know more about this journey into Japanese Art, you'll find it all on Making a Mark.

13 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

Wow! Amazing work, Robyn.

janie said...

As Bono says,'even better than the real thing'
Your colours are prettier and your fish look alive.
Your sketchbook is going to be amazing when you finish and open it out.
I've just started in mine, and feel like I've ruined it already:)

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

This artwork is really quite lovely. The open mouth on the big fish -- great shape. And I especially love the play of colors and the gradation and contrast in the blues!
Fantastic!
Kelly Borsheim

http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com
Artist living in Florence, Italy

lotusgreen said...

thank you robyn!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Beautiful elegant drawing....fantastic

juj said...

His work - your work - it's definitely your hand in those loose washes and deft strokes. And those colors! Those gorgeous saturated colors!! Every time I'm feeling jaded with the world I can come here and fall in love all over again.

Jenny said...

Beautiful! The colors are fantastic!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Beautiful colours and the fish shapes are lovely Robyn. I think your book of watercolours will be a real treasure when you're done.

Joan said...

Robyn, These one is lovely...super color and detail. This book will be a beauty when you finish it. Nice work!!

Making A Mark said...

Beautiful Robyn - you're really capturing the 'feel'. Plus as one who has tried it's harder than it looks!

Isn't Japonisme wonderful!

Lisa B. said...

This is wonderful. I love your work!

Judybec said...

very beautiful! I love your colors.

quirkyartist said...

The colours are beautiful and it has so much drama.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...