Friday, April 18, 2008

Brush Sketch Challenge


Large Moleskine sketchbook - 2B mechanical pencil

This is my Raphael No9 Petit Gris Pur watercolour brush. I bought it (and a couple more) when I had more money than time. Now I have more time than money, I find it's not a brush I use very often. I also wonder what I, who won't eat anything with big brown eyes, is actually doing with this brush!

It came out of the cupboard today to pose for a portrait in the Vivien Blackburn Brush Sketch Challenge. You can read about it on her blog Painting, Prints and Stuff. I was so excited to have the opportunity to be in the running for one of Vivien's sketches, I launched into this without reading the instructions properly. I used to lose marks for that in examinations. How tough a teacher is Vivien, I wonder? She actually stipulated a sketch of 'your brushes'.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great sketch Robyn, those hairs look SO soft and I love the delicate detail around the wires!
Ronell

caseytoussaint said...

I think you'll get points for doing such a good job on this, even if you didn't follow directions...It's really good!

Rose Welty said...

Lovely brush Robyn, I'm going to have to get busy soon before I get too intimidated to participate!

Nicely done.

vivien said...

I'm not good at following rules! this is fine - it's a lovely sketch and the different textures have been shown beautifully :>)

I'll put a link to it on the blog :>) post

dinahmow said...

My water colour teacher (several years ago) had a similar brush and it looked so good I bought one. I now have 2 or 3 and, while I still am not much of a painter, they are my favourites!So fat and soft.Good sketch, Robyn.
PS...*they* don't know a Saturday from a work day!!!

Stacy said...

What a lovely drawing of your brush Robyn! Lucky for you, I see Vivien is more nice than strict.

Lin said...

AWESOME job, Robyn!!! So fine -- from bristles to wood -- EXCEPTIONAL!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Thank you all for commenting so positively. I've discovered drawing with graphite is a bit like golf - if you don't do it often your muscles forget how!

And it's official folks VIVIEN IS A PUSSYCAT! It's that nice :)

Joan said...

It's nice that even though you don't use the brush very often it came in handy as a model. Nice job on this! Now you have an excuse to do another!

Making A Mark said...

Lovely drawing Robyn - do you think you deserve to do "100 lines" for not reading the instructions properly? ;)

Or maybe just another drawing of your other brushes? :)

Robyn Sinclair said...

Katherine - Ha, ha. I guessed you'd be a tougher taskmistress than Vivien. I must remember that if I ever find myself in your class ;)

juj said...

It's funny that Vivien mentioned Jim Dine on her blog, because this reminds me of a sketch he did of some scissors. I did a copy of it when I was in school which now it sits atop the television in the living room. I always liked it because its such a humble subject yet he drew it with such rapt attention. Just like your brush. The grain in the wood, the highlight on the bristles, the tiny number... your attention to it elevates it beyond its role as tool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...