Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Patonga Pelicans Drypoint Prints

Patonga Pelicans 14 x 17 cms
Drypoint printed in three colours and finished with Sennelier oil pastels


Drypoint 14 x 17 cms

When I return to Australia I'm always hanging out for the sight of my first pelican. Patonga, a little fishing village about an hour from Sydney, is my favourite place to spot them. I was told I'd get my best shots early in the morning when the local fish and chip shop owner throws out his rubbish. I waited in vain on Monday morning. Not a pelican in sight.What I didn't know, but the pelicans did, is that the fish shop is shut on Monday so they give Patonga a miss and go to Fisherman's Wharf further up the coast.

Next morning I was having my coffee at the local shop when I spotted the fish shop proprietor heading to the wharf with a bucket. I had no camera, no sketchbook. Then realised I had a mobile phone. In a state of bliss I got some pictures - bless my little Nokia 2700 classic - they are good enough to sketch from.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pelicans!Pelicans? What's not to like?

And I think you've done a good job with your book.Well done, Wendy, for conveying the instructions.

vivien said...

Robyn this has to be one of your best! great composition and abstract use of colour suggesting the surroundings :>)

Making A Mark said...

Clever birds those pelicans

Clever Robyn - excellent pelicans in print! :)

belindadelpesco.com said...

Love this! Petite and powerful, with such a gracefully classic Asian influence. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

I love your pelicans robyn...and yes, particularly that abstract flavour you added!
Ronelle

Unknown said...

Great print.

Alison Staite said...

Wow Robyn! - This is super! Great composition and colours. Love it!

Cathy Gatland said...

Fabulous etchings Robyn - the oranges with the subtle drypoint tones work wonderfully and as everyone has said, great composition!

A Brush with Color said...

They're wonderul. Bless that Nokia indeed! Really interesting--I'd have loved to have watched you do this.

Joan said...

Great job on the print of the pelicans!!! I took a lot of photos of a pelican last week while we were away at a painting workshop in South Carolina. The pelican was hanging out on the fishing peer and posed for everyone all week long.

Suma CM said...

Lovely print -- would make a great notecard!

Felicity Grace said...

Robyn, these are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...