Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Strange Fruit


Watercolour on gessoed A5 watercolour paper

Ever since Casey rue Manuel bis blogged about painting watercolour on gesso I've been keen to try it. This was just a little experiment so I didn't take too much care with the sketch. As a result it's quite loose and I quite like it! I love the rich glossy look of the colours on the acrylic gesso and it is wonderful being able to lift out highlights so easily. I will be trying some more of these. It's a great way to use up paper one doesn't like or to paint over failed watercolours. Thanks Casey! :)

The strange fruit was a gift from Jean and I have no idea what it is called. They are like little apples and have a sweet nutty taste. They start out green and are ready to eat when they are completely brown. Anyone know what they are?
Coloured pencils in Moleskine sketchbook

This clever little gift box was folded for me by Marta. I'm afraid if I take it apart I'll never get it back together again. It has joined the collection of lovely little objects I'm gathering on my desk.

Watercolour 18 x 26cm

The landscape is my effort from last week's watercolour class. These Vincaia trees used to grow all over this part of Tuscany apparently, often supporting grape vines. You don't see so many now.

10 comments:

Lin said...

These are fabulous, Robin -- but oh, that loose unknown fruit is just luscious looking -- rich and loose, painterly and so so wonderfully done!

Claudia said...

Fantastic paintings again, Robyn! Interesting experiment with gesso! It looks wonderful! But your other work is very well done, too!

Anonymous said...

Could they be nespoli? That's the only thing I recall seeing sort of brown and rotten looking in the shops. I always thought they were medlars in English, but I'm not sure.

Spooky trees and just right for today. Both nice paintings, indeed.

juj said...

Gorgeous paintings Robyn - love the way the fruit just shines - and I can't believe youmanaged to capture all those intricate folds in that box! Beautiful!

Joan said...

These are lovely! The fruit has such a nice shine with the gesso. I like the landscape you did. I love those trees with their arms stretched wide. I saw some trees that looked like that in Spain. I wonder if they were the same kind? They were stretched out branches, with no leaves.

Casey Klahn said...

Good stuff, and I especially like the folded gift box. Superb rendering!

caseytoussaint said...

What a wonderful post, Robyn - 3 very different and beautiful pieces. Unfortunately, I took the little box from Marta apart to transport it, and even though she showed me how to put it back together I'm a bit stuck! I love the way your still life on gesso worked out too - I've been meaning to try one as well - the minute I get some time!

Serena Lewis said...

Can't help you with the name of the fruit, Robyn, but you've done a lovely job at rendering them. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't help you either with the name of the fruit robyn, but you did a beautiful job on it...the colours are bright and alive. I love your trees as well...looks like they've been there for years! and these little boxes are SO cute and I love the paper!
Ronell

Laura Frankstone said...

Robyn, that is beautiful, whatever the fruit might be! I want to try the gesso thing, too! Your trees are wonderful-the two kinds contrast nicely with each other.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...